We are a Colorado-based company, and many members of the Sensible team have lived here for the majority of their lives. However, we know how many people are newer to Denver and the beauty of Colorado, and one other thing they may not have fully expected – the crazy weather. While we love the random 90 degree days we have sometimes in February (yes, they happen nearly every year!), we also know it can be very confusing to know what to do with your HVAC system in the crazy fall and spring months. Here are some tips for homeowners to remember:
- Maintain Your Heating System Early: It has happened more than once – snow in September. It is a good idea to schedule your heating system maintenance in September or October, because your furnace will start to kick on earlier than you think. Even if we don’t have cold weather during the day, it gets cold fast here during the overnight hours, and you may find yourself switching on the heat.
- Keep Your Evaporative (Swamp) Cooler Running Until October: It seems late, but as long as we aren’t getting a lot of crazy early freezes in September, it is a good idea to keep your evaporative cooler on until the end of October. We nearly always have a week of 90 degree days in October, and many people regret turning it off too soon. You can always call our office if you have concerns.
- It Is Okay (Maybe Even Recommended) to Turn Your System Totally Off in the Fall: A lot of people don’t realize that you can save money and energy by simply switching your thermostat to off during the fall months. If we are enjoying a stretch of perfect 70 degree fall days that are so common (and wonderful) in Colorado, simply switch everything off, open your windows, and enjoy the weather! You can always turn the system back on, but take the opportunity to enjoy the fresh air!
- CHANGE YOUR FILTER: This is a big one, and often the cause of emergency calls in the winter months. Make sure you change your dirty filter, so when your furnace does begin to run, it is not prohibited by an old filter. Pro Tip: if you schedule a maintenance, we will do this for you so you don’t have to worry about it!
- You Can Run Your A/C Anytime: It is okay to switch your A/C on anytime during the fall months if it is hot out (see above: Indian summer). It won’t hurt the A/C, and if it is too cool for it to run, it simply won’t.
As you survive your first few crazy years of Colorado weather, we are happy to help you better understand the ins and outs of your HVAC system, and our technicians are always glad to answer any questions. Call us today at 720-876-7166 to schedule your fall maintenance, and be sure to ask about our monthly maintenance agreements to help keep your system running at optimal level!
About Sensible Heating & Cooling
Sensible Heating & Cooling is Denver’s Premier Heating & Cooling company, offering a wealth of experience and knowledge in traditional HVAC, as well as alternative systems such as geothermal, heat pumps and boilers. To learn more about Sensible, visit https://sensibleheat.net/.